Driving in snow and ice is very risky. Every winter, bad driving conditions cause numerous accidents. Safe and defensive driving techniques are required to protect yourself and your vehicle.
You need to adjust our driving habits as snow and ice cause road conditions to deteriorate significantly in cold weather states like Michigan. Please follow the tips below and share the information with your contacts.
Here are some tips for safe driving.
1. Make sure that the windshield wipers are in good condition. Check windshield washer fluid level
2. If your car battery is over 3 years then have it checked.
3. Check air pressure on all the tires.
4. Gas tank should be at least half full.
5. Allow extra space between the car in front of you.
6. If you slide on ice do not hit the brakes hard. Gently apply the brakes and do your best to steer safely
7. Clear the snow on your windshield and all the windows so that your view is not obstructed.
8. Wear boots and warm clothing. Also carry a blanket in the car in case you get stranded.
9. Allow yourself extra time to get to your destination. Be patient and alert while driving. Do not be distracted by your phone.
10. If you can work from home or car pool then do so.
Also make sure that you always buckle up. If the weather is really bad try not to get out on the road.