This is a delicious gravy dish that can be eaten with rice, idli, dosa.
- Oil: 5 tbsp
- Eggplant small 12 whole (this has to be very small Indian eggplant, slit them from bottom, do not remove the stem or the top portion, this will help keep the eggplant whole in the cooking process)
- Onion: 1 cup, finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 cup, finely chopped
- Green Chilli’s: 2 slivered
- Fennel: 1 tsp
- Cinnamon: 2 small pieces
- Cloves: 4
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 tbsp
- Corriander powder:– 2 tbsp
- Chilli powder: 1 tbsp (modify per spice level needed)
- Turmeric: 1tsp
- Salt as needed
- Curry leaves few, some cilantro to garnish.
For Masala Paste
Coconut graded: 1 cup
Poppy seeds: 1tbsp
- Grind all ingredients in masala paste section to a fine paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Once oil is hot, add Fennel, cloves and cinnamon, wait till it splutters and aroma is released
- Then add Green chilli’s, onions, cook till soft, then add tomatoes and cook till it becomes soft, add curry leaves.
- To that add ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric and salt. Cook this till all the ingredients are mixed well and raw smell is gone.
- To this mixture add eggplant, mix well till masala is coated on them, reduce heat, cover pan with lid and cook till eggplant is done.
- Then add the coconut masala paste, mix well, add some water to this to bring it to your desired consistency.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes with no lid, garnish with cilantro.