This is a quick sweet recipe made from bread with just a few ingredients.
- French baguette bread – 10 one-inch thick slices (can substitute regular bread slices if needed)
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Ghee – 5 tbsps.
- Saffron – One pinch
- Cashews – About 15 broken to half’s
Getting bread ready
- One or two day old bread works well for this. If bread is soft leave it open in a plate for a few hours, it will become harder.
- Put the bread in a food processor and make it into crumbs and set aside
- In a pan heat some ghee and sauté cashews to golden brown, remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add sugar, water and saffron, bring to a boil, boil for 4 minutes in low heat.
- To that add bread crumbs, cook for a few minutes mixing well.
- It will thicken to a paste, start adding ghee at this point little bit at a time and keep mixing well.
- The mixture will come together well and form a nice ball and not stick to the pan.
- At this point you can stop adding ghee.
- Save some roasted cashew’s for garnishing, add remaining to the halwa and mix well.
Transfer to a cool bowl, garnish and enjoy!
You can use wheat baguette or wheat bread if you would like.